Busy busy busy. Standard reply when you ask someone how they’re. We’re cramming more into our lives. More work, more fun, more appointments, more commitments. It is getting harder to get someone’s attention.
Frustrating isn’t it? Yet I have a formula to counteract this modern day phenomenon. Single message with any communication. Yes. Simple isn’t it! Here are some other guidelines I follow:
- Keep the message short.
- Get to the message early on and even if you want to say more in that message,don’t.
- Finish the message with a very clear next step so the recipient is totally clear on how to respond to the message.
- Support the message with a clear and relevant email subject line. This will prime the recipient and introduce clarity to the message.
- What if you have other messages? Send separate emails with relevant subject lines. Don’t add more than one message to keep it short and sweet.
- Don’t imply and keep the irony to the minimum. The more there is, the more possibility of a misunderstanding.
- Don’t assume. Don’t assume the recipient knows what you are talking about.
- Introduce a short background. Don’t assume they remember the details of the conversation you have or the main points of that conversation so give it to them. This point is relevant especially if there is a third party introduced to the email who wasn’t present in that conversation so is not up to date.
Have you got any suggestions to add to the formula?